Saturday, September 20, 2008

Race from HELL!!






Well... I had signed up for this 1/2 marthon trail run, it was this morning. I drove out to Oakland Township with Treva and LeeAnne. We were ready for this run, even though we knew it would be different from our road races we have always d0ne before. Well, they are both faster runners than me so I lost them in the first mile, but I had them in my sights for awhile. Everything was going fine until mile 4, when the run went off into the Bald Mountain Recreation area. The last mile marker I saw was mile 5, I was feeling good, and doing about 10.5 minute miles. I kept running up hills, down narow trails, twisting my ankle twice on roots. Pretty soon there was no-one in front of me and no-one behind me. I began to question if I was on the right trail, I hadn't seen a mile marker in awhile, I just thought they hadn't marked the miles since we were on these crazy trails. Pretty soon, up ahead I see a man walking toward me. He had a race number on and he asks me, Is this the right trail? I had been wondering the same thing!!! We soon realized we had somehow missed the marker, and were totally LOST!! We began back tracking and after about 40 minutes, we found our way back to the right trail. That was so upsetting!!



I was feeling bad cause I knew LeeAnee and Treva would be waiting for me, and worrying if I was injured, or lost. After running for awhile again and then realizing this run that should of taken me 2.5 hours, I was now already at 3 hours, with 5 miles to go, I took the ride on the paramedics truck back to the finish line. I was so dissapointed, and tired. I got back to the finish and Treva and LeeAnne were happy to see me walk off the paramedic truck. I guess LeeAnne had gotten lost too, with about 12 other runners, they found their way back sooner though. She atleast ran across the finish line. I guess it could of been worse, I'm really thankful I met up with that man, Bill, and that he was sweet and stayed right with me. I think if I would of been alone, I would of cried, and probably, still be back in the woods right now. Awful race!!!

4 comments:

Rachel B said...

Oh, Shelli, I am so sorry. That is terible that so many people took the wrong turn that they obvioulsy didn't mark the trail well enough. I am just so impressed that you run at all in any races. I am so proud of you and I think you are so amazing. How frustrating. Are you running any more races this year? It is one of my biggest goals to run with you someday. Maybe next year?

Tom & Michelle said...

OH MOM!! Thats so sad!!! well im glad that then man you were running with was a good guy and that you we able to find you way back. I wish I could of ran with you then we could of been lost together. But at least you know now to not do that race again. Tom said you should demand your money back. poor mom well im gald that your safe. love you

Amber said...

That is very very disappointing! I know after training so hard and then running, you deserve to cross the finish line! I'm sorry...but at least you look really cute in your picture. I think it's great that you are so dedicated to always staying in shape and running. Maybe next Oct. we can do the St. George again.... well maybe. :) See you next week. Love you!

Greg & Andrea said...

Mom, I'm so sorry that that happened to you but i don't think you would still be stuck in the woods. Someone would have found you by now:) Still I'm really sorry you didn't get to finish the race. At least you were being watched over and bill was there to help you get back safely.